We face increasing challenges in terms of armed conflicts, urban violence and organized crime, so it is crucial to join efforts and share experiences to find effective solutions in cities and territories.
Under this axis, we seek to reflect on the construction of sustainable societies based on the readings of different mayors in order to generate innovative strategies, promote transformative policies, and establish lasting collaborations that allow us to build cities and territories where peace is a tangible and lasting reality.
Topics and issues
Within the framework of this axis, the Forum will hold the following spaces with the participation of mayors, experts and strategic sectors:
• General panel: causes and effects of the increase in multi-crime in cities that affect social peace.
• Discussion: rethinking initiatives to break the dynamics of inequality and stigmatization that affect urban peace and human security.
• Laboratory: what tools could a human security framework offer to address the causes that generate insecurities in cities?
• Successful experiences: Share experiences of cities and territories that have made significant progress in peace building. This will identify good practices and lessons learned that can be replicated in other cities and territories.
• Conflict prevention and resolution: Explore effective strategies to prevent and resolve conflicts at the local level. This will include approaches to mediation, reconciliation, intercommunity dialogue, and promotion of peaceful coexistence.
• Citizen participation: To analyze the role of citizen participation in the promotion of territorial peace. This objective will cover issues such as the inclusion of marginalized groups, the strengthening of civil society, youth participation, and the creation of spaces for democratic expression.
• Security and justice: Discuss strategies to strengthen security and justice systems in cities and territories, including collaboration between the police, the community and civil society organizations.
Topics and issues
• Conflicts and violence on the rise. We are witnessing an increase in conflicts and violence in different parts of the world. Armed conflicts, organized crime and urban violence are generating negative impacts on communities and territories. It is essential to address these problems and seek solutions to promote peace and security.
• Human security. Insecurity, forced displacement, loss of life and destruction of basic infrastructure have consequences on people’s well-being and quality of life. Addressing these problems is fundamental to ensuring the security and well-being of communities.
• Building sustainable societies. Territorial peace is a key component of building sustainable societies. Peace provides the necessary environment for human development, economic growth, investment, education and progress in general. By addressing peace-related challenges, we are laying the foundation for a more prosperous and equitable future.
• Promoting justice and human rights. Territorial peace is closely linked to the promotion of justice and human rights. Violence and conflict often lead to massive violations of human rights.
• Socio-economic development. It is relevant to analyze how sustainable socioeconomic development can contribute to territorial peace, whether in the formulation of employment policies, access to basic services, the reduction of inequality or the promotion of inclusive economic opportunities.
• Education for peace. Territorial peace should include the identification of values such as tolerance, respect, empathy and peaceful conflict resolution. In this way, awareness of human rights, gender equality, social justice and respect for cultural diversity can be fostered. By developing a global citizenship mindset, solidarity is promoted and collective responsibility is fostered.